New density requirements
From 12:01 am Wednesday 31 March 2021
- The Density requirement will move from 1 person per 2 sq metres to 3 people per 4 sq metres (equivalent to 75%)
- The capacity for cinemas, live theatres, performance venues and places of worship with fixed seating will increase from 75% to 100% provided attendees are wearing a mask
- Restrictions on dancing will be removed except for venues that are subject to a COVID Management Plan (Nightclubs and venues with over 1,000 people) – e.g. 3 per 4 sq metres will apply to dance floors
COVID Safe Plans will be automatically updated for businesses with an existing plan.
The Public Activities COVID-19 Direction is still in place.
Activities that require a COVID Marshal
A COVID Marshal is required for the following prescribed operations:
- The onsite purchase and consumption of food or beverages (indoors or outdoors).
- Religious or faith-based ceremonies (other than wedding ceremonies or funeral services).
- Supermarkets and hardware stores.
- Gatherings of 51-200 people at residential premises.
- Distribution centres (including associated transport operations).
- Gymnasiums and fitness centres.
- Swimming pools used by the public.
- Sporting clubs.
- Any activity where a COVID Management Plan is required.
- Any operation which may be defined by the state coordinator.
COVID SAfe Check-In
All defined public activities and general retail industry premises must have a completed COVID Safe Plan and have an approved contact tracing system enabled.
All people entering the place must upload their relevant contact details to the approved contact tracing system. This upload is automatic when you use the COVID SAfe Check-In to scan the QR code.
For more information, visit the COVID Safe Checkin page.
The total number of people at a place must not exceed the density requirement of 3 persons per 4 square metres.
Food and beverages can be consumed while standing up.
If people are sitting at a bar, there must be no food preparation taking place.
Dancing at licensed premises
Dancing is permitted at nightclubs and licensed premises without the need for an approved COVID Management Plan, provided that—
- the total number of patrons present is fewer than 1000; and
- the density requirement of 3 persons per 4 square metres is met in the premises and
- the density requirement of 3 persons per 4 square metres is met on the dancefloor
For cinemas, live theatre or any other live performance venues where patrons are in fixed seating, if over 75% of seats occupied, patrons must wear masks and for capacity less than 75% of seats occupied, masks are not required to be worn.
Children under the age of 12, or persons who have a relevant medical condition, including problems with their breathing, a serious condition of the face, a disability or mental health condition or where the ability to see the mouth for communication are not required to wear masks.
Do not visit aged care facilities if you:
- have been directed by SA Police to self-quarantine
- have a fever or symptoms of a respiratory infection such as a cough, sore throat or shortness of breath
- have been in contact with:
- a confirmed case of COVID-19 in the last 14 days
- anyone with a high temperature, fever, chills, symptoms of acute respiratory infection, or loss of taste and smell, in the last 72 hours.