All travellers wishing to enter South Australia, must complete a Cross Border Travel Registration with SA Police.
Some people applying for essential traveller status will require written approval from SA Health before submitting a Cross Border Travel Registration to SA Police.
Who is this for
If you are travelling to South Australia from ACT, NSW or VIC, and you are seeking essential traveller status for:
- urgent medical, dental or health treatment
- compassionate grounds
- providing health services
You will require written approval from SA Health before submitting a Cross Border Travel Registration.
From 1 September, 2020, all applications for a SA Health approval to enter the state must be submitted using the online SA Health Essential Traveller Application form.
If you have applied to SA Health prior to 1 September, you do not need to re-apply. You will be contacted about your existing application as soon as possible. Please note that because of the large number of exemption requests, there have been delays in responding.
Before you begin
- You will need to provide written evidence to support your application. This can be a letter, email or scanned document from your treating doctor, workplace, funeral home, aged care facility or treating doctor of your immediate family member.
- It will take up to 72 hours to receive a response. There have been longer delays because of the high volume of requests.
- You will be notified of the outcome by email.
- If approved, you will then need to submit your Cross Border Travel Registration using your SA Health Essential Traveller approval.
SA Police advise you should try and complete the entire cross border travel process at least 14 days before you leave, regardless of where your travel begins.
How to apply
Follow the link below to apply
If you have lodged an application and have not received a response in more than 5 days, please contact SA Health at HealthExemptions.Covid19@eso.sa.gov.au.
Review of SA Health decision
If you wish to dispute a decision by the SA Health Exemptions team and panel, please contact SA Health at HealthExemptions.Covid19@eso.sa.gov.au with additional information to support your request for a review of the decision. This can include:
- supporting documentation that was not provided during the initial application,
- circumstances that have changed since you initial application,
- other information omitted from your initial application.
The Health Exemptions Panel considers applications on a case-by-case basis, and in exceptional circumstances, appeals may be considered. This will be arbitrated by two senior health officials, independent of the Health Exemptions Panel.
You will be notified in writing of the outcome of the review.
Essential traveller table (PDF, 130.7 KB) - 17 September 2020