On this page

Travel within SA

Border restrictions

Essential travel exemptions

Entering SA from interstate

Travelling interstate from SA


Travel within SA

Travel within South Australia is unrestricted. People are free to visit regional areas, and travel within South Australia is a great way to support our regional communities and economies.

Border restrictions

Victorian border restrictions

Travellers from Victoria, other than approved categories of Essential Travellers, are not permitted to travel to South Australia. Checkpoints or road blocks will be set up at all border crossings between South Australia and Victoria.

  • Sturt Highway, Yamba
  • Wentworth Road, Renmark
  • Mallee Highway, Pinnaroo
  • Dukes Highway, Wolseley
  • High Street, Frances (which terminates at Minimay—Frances Road, Frances)
  • Wimmera Highway, Laurie Park
  • Edenhope Road, Wrattonbully
  • Casterton Road, Penola
  • Glenelg Highway, Myora
  • Princes Highway, Glenburnie
  • Glenelg River Road, Donovans/Nelson
  • Lindsay Point Road—Lacey Avenue, Murtho
  • Summerton Road—Mulcra Road (becomes Panitya North Road), Pinnaroo
  • Wolseley Road—Serviceton North Road, Wolseley
  • Binnum—Benayeo Road, Binnum
  • Shepherds Road—Kybybolite Road, Kybyolite
  • Langkoop Road—Casterton-Naracoorte Road, Koppamurra
  • Derghom Road—Dorodong Road, Penola
  • Mingbool Road, Pleasant Park
  • Caroline Road, Caroline
  • Dry Creek Road, Caroline

New South Wales border restrictions

NSW is now considered part of the low community transmission zone.

People entering from NSW will be able to enter South Australia without the requirement for COVID-19 testing or 14 day self-quarantine upon arrival as long as during the 14 days immediately before their arrival in South Australia, they have been the low transmission zone (ACT, NT, Qld, NSW, WA, or TAS) for that preceding 14 days.

This provision only applies to people who travel from NSW to South Australia via air or via road, travelling through NSW.  Entry via Victoria is prohibited except for Essential Travellers or persons escaping domestic violence or providing support to a family member who is experiencing domestic violence.

People who entered South Australia from NSW prior to 12:01am Thursday 24 September are required to complete their 14 day self-quarantine.  If a person chooses to return to NSW during this self-quarantine period and then return to South Australia, they will be required to complete the balance of days remaining on their 14 day self-quarantine period.

All other states

Travellers from ACT, NSW, NT, QLD, TAS and WA are able to enter South Australia directly without the requirement for COVID-19 testing or 14 day self-quarantine upon arrival, as long as during the 14 days immediately before their arrival in South Australia, they have been the low transmission zone (ACT, NSW, NT, QLD, TAS or WA) for that preceding 14 days.

Essential travel exemptions

See the Cross border travel direction for Essential traveller schedules.

Cross-border communities

Emergency Services Workers are permitted to enter SA to attend/respond to an emergency defined as an event that causes or threatens to cause:

  • death/injury/damage to the health of any person
  • the destruction/damage to any property
  • a disruption to essential services or to services usually enjoyed by the community
  • harm to the environment/flora/fauna.

Where the emergency services worker is attending a health facility or hospital in South Australia they must inform the facility of their arrival prior to arriving at the facility.

Victorian border communities

Cross Border Community Members on the South Australia/Victoria border are now permitted to enter SA if they reside within 40km of the border for essential purposes only.

You must have had a COVID-19 test within last 7 days.

If you are entering from VIC you cannot travel further than 40 kilometres (PDF, 553.6 KB) over the border into South Australia.

Anyone wishing to enter South Australia from Victoria as an Essential traveller will need to complete a Cross Border Travel Registration form.

Specialist workers in essential sectors – COVID-19 Workplace Risk Mitigation

Essential sectors with the need for individual specialist workers to enter and exit South Australia need to have Workplace Risk Mitigation strategies for COVID-19. This includes identifying potential risks, hazards and the controls in place to mitigate these potential risks.

Who needs a COVID-19 Essential Traveller Workplace Risk Mitigation Plan?

Only essential sectors in the Cross Border Travel Direction are required to have approval by the Department of Health and Wellbeing (SA Health) about their workplace risk mitigation plan.

Find out more and submit your Risk Mitigation Plan.

Entering SA from interstate

Before you travel

A pre-approval process is now in place for travellers wishing to enter South Australia. The Cross Border Travel Registration should speed up the border crossing process and provide certainty for people who want to enter SA.


If you are planning travel to South Australia, aim to complete the Cross Border Travel Registration at least fourteen days before you leave, regardless of where your travel begins.

All travellers intending to enter SA should are required to register their intention to travel. This includes:

  • people entering from unrestricted states (ACT, NSW, NT, QLD, TAS and WA)
  • essential travellers entering from Victoria
  • SA residents returning home from any other state other than Victoria, regardless of how long they were interstate.

Please be aware that if you are driving to SA from any unrestricted states (see above), you MUST NOT drive through VICTORIA to enter SA.

Provide details in the short description of why you are travelling. If you are an essential skills worker, transport, or entering for compassionate grounds, include a summary of:

  • who you work for, or the business or person you are visiting
  • why you are entering the state
  • how long you will be in the state and whether you will return often.

If you want to apply for an Essential Traveller status then you will need a letter confirming why you are seeking this status, it could be from your employer or a funeral home for example.

If you are unable to complete registration before you leave, proceed to the border and you will be assisted by police and given an ‘interim status’ while your registration is assessed.

Health exemption

If you are seeking an essential traveller status for:

  • urgent medical, dental or health treatment
  • compassionate grounds
  • providing health services

You will require an Essential traveller health exemption from SA Health before submitting a Cross Border Travel application to SA Police.


Your registration will be assessed to determine whether you are:

  • able to travel without restriction (including people arriving directly from ACT, NSW, NT, QLD, TAS and WA)
  • an essential traveller, with or without self-quarantine restrictions
  • unable to enter South Australia (Victorian residents who are not essential travellers)

South Australia Police (SAPOL) will confirm each registration and assess them to determine a traveller’s status.


You will be notified by email of your status within 72 hours and given a unique number. You will need to produce this number when crossing the border.

If your application is declined you may receive an email asking for more information, this can include documentation or adding to your description information about why you want to enter South Australia.

Complete your Cross Border Travel Registration on the SAPOL website.

Arriving in SA

There are checkpoints at roads leading into SA from other states, and at Adelaide airport. You will need to produce your pre-approval number at one of these checkpoints. Your arrival will then be recorded by police.

Video - Online pre-approval form instructions

Self-quarantine requirements

You can only leave self-quarantine to obtain urgent medical care or medical supplies, to get tested for COVID-19, or for any other emergency situation.

You must ensure no one else enters or stays at the place you are self-quarantining unless:

  • they usually live there and you need to provide care/support to them, or receive care/support from them, or
  • they are also self-quarantining, or
  • your place of self-quarantine is appropriately set up so you do not have contact with others.

Because we need to minimise the number of people you are in contact with, you may need to make arrangements for yourself or other household members to stay somewhere else.

Testing of arrivals

Mandatory COVID-19 testing is in place for certain essential travellers arriving from Victoria. Refer to the Essential traveller table for details.

Travelling interstate from SA

Not all border-crossing arrangements are reciprocal. People leaving South Australia should research restrictions in other states before planning any interstate travel.

The Healthdirect Australia Restriction Checker has advice on what restrictions are in place in each state and territory across Australia.


If you are directed by a health professional or law enforcement agency to quarantine for 14 days, you must do so.

A $1,000 on-the-spot fine can be issued to anyone breaching self-quarantine requirements.

SA Health and SA Police are working together to monitor people who should be in quarantine and fines may be issued to people who breach these directives.

More information

Cross-border travel direction

Overseas travel restrictions

Overseas travel self-quarantine direction

Page last updated: 24 September 2020