Updates to the Residential Aged Care Facilities Direction allow a person to enter a Facility for the purpose of participating in a group activity led or supervised by an employee, contractor, student or volunteer of the facility.
Group activities may include things such as arts classes, and exercise or recreational activities such as bingo.
Restrictions on visits
Do not visit aged care facilities if you:
- have a fever or symptoms of a respiratory infection such as a cough, sore throat or shortness of breath
You cannot enter an aged care facility:
- if you have been directed by an authorised officer to quarantine
- have been in contact with:
- a confirmed case of COVID-19 in the last 14 days
- anyone with a high temperature, fever, chills, symptoms of acute respiratory infection, or loss of taste and smell, in the last 72 hours
- from 1 June 2021 if you have not been vaccinated against 2021 seasonal influenza
- A person who has not received the 2021 influenza vaccination since the 1 June 2021 due to observing the recommended waiting period between the COVID-19 and influenza vaccine is permitted to enter the Residential Aged Care Facility if they provide evidence of the COVID-19 vaccination and the date of receipt to the facility. The person must also take all reasonable steps to ensure that they receive the influenza vaccine as soon possible.
- if you have undertaken a COVID-19 test and are awaiting the test result, unless part of routine surveillance testing and are not displaying symptoms.
- A person arriving from a zone subject to Level 1 requirements under the Cross Border Travel direction must not enter or remain in a Residential Aged Care Facility in South Australia for a period of 14 days after their arrival in South Australia or until they return a negative COVID-19 test result.
If you cannot visit your family and friends in a residential aged care facility, it’s important to keep in touch. Make phone or video calls, send postcards, photos or artwork or film short videos to share.
More details available on the residential aged care direction.
Aged care facility visitation - COVID-19 - SA Health